Feb 12, 2009

Victorian Bushfires 2009

Well we're coming off a pretty ordinary week. Horrible to turn on the TV or radio, or open the papers to see pictures of individuals, children and whole families lost to the bushfires.

It's been said a number of times since Saturday but this tragedy really puts things into perspective. Some personal issues that seemed like a big deal to me only last week have lost their impact. No matter how I look at the things in my life - things that I felt were not as good as they could be - I can only come to the conclusion that I am very very lucky.

No friends or family directly affected by the fires. Healthy, safe kids. And during the hottest day in Melbourne's history, while the fires were just gathering momentum, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law gave birth to a little cousin for Archie and Lewis. (Hi Carla!)

Like most people we don't feel like we can do much. We'll donate during the Channel Nine telethon tonight. And do our weekly shopping at Coles tomorrow (all takings for Friday are going to bushfire victims). Reservoir Mum and her business partner have opened the clinic to the fire-fighters for free physio consultations.

This is a very sad time for Australia and the only good that seems to come from a tragedy like this is the power it has to refocus us on the really important things - family and friends.

I hope for the best possible outcome for everyone affected by the fires.

No comments: